Saturday, May 22, 2004

Parody gone wrong

Of all the literary blogs out there, my favorite is Maud Newton: Blog. No reflection on all the other folks writing, but Maud's site is both excellent and also completely to my taste. She had a bit of a situation there this week: a friend posted a parody of her website called "Fraud Newton" (I'm not going to link to it, because it's clearly one of those jokes where hostility bizarrely outweighed humor). She provided the link, then took it down later in the week:

"I've deleted the post to the 'Fraud Newton' parody site. Someone I know created the site because he thought it would be funny. It didn't make me laugh as much as it made me want to kill myself. It's a pretty accurate takedown of the self-indulgent bullshit I post here. "

Unnecessary self-flagellation! Maud's site is hilarious and self-deprecating, not in the least self-indulgent. Go see for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment