Tuesday, January 18, 2005

The NYT reports on MEALAC at Columbia

My colleague and fellow ECFAS member Andy Nathan has the best quotation in today's NYT piece about mideast controversies at Columbia: "'I've been teaching 33 years and I've always thought we all knew what was appropriate faculty deportment,' said Andrew J. Nathan, a political science professor who is dubious about the students' charges. 'Now it is not clear to everyone that the classroom is where the faculty is in full control. I teach a course called Introduction to Human Rights. We had a whole week on the torture memos of the Bush administration. Now I'm starting to wonder whether there's somebody in my class of 143 students who might grieve against me, that I indoctrinated them, that they went through emotional suffering to hear about these things.' "

No comments:

Post a Comment