Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Enhancement

My review of four books about genetic engineering and biological enhancement is up at the VLS. Three of the books are interesting but I wouldn't recommend them to everybody: one's too academic, one's too dogmatic and one's too goofy (actually, that last is Ramez Naam's More Than Human: Embracing the Promise of Biological Enhancement, and I enjoyed it a lot, it's a fun read if you like this kind of thing). But the one that's really an absolutely wonderful book (its only flaw is that Chorost includes WAY more than I wanted to know about his attempts to find a girlfriend using internet dating and what it's like to have sex with someone you don't know very well after getting a cochlear implant), and the one I think everyone should read, is Michael Chorost's Rebuilt: How Becoming Part Computer Made Me More Human. Very highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment