Saturday, July 30, 2005

Casting about last night for something good to read

I came upon a random used paperback I bought some time ago, A Cold Day In Paradise by Steve Hamilton. Within a few pages I realized I was reading a low-key but spectacularly good private-investigator novel, with excellent Upper Peninsula setting, appealing main character, great writing--I don't know why I didn't pick it up sooner, except that it's a weird little paperback promotional copy with a special cover of the "Dear Reader ... we've taken the unusual step to create advance reading copies of a book that's already been published in hardcover" kind. It is amazing how rarely such messages make a book sound more appealing. However I found it absolutely delightful, and best of all there are at least five more in the series, I am going to go and get them from the library as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment