Monday, July 18, 2005

My dear friend Jane Yeh

is on the shortlist for the Forward poetry prize for best first collection (here's the Guardian piece): "An almost unprecedented enthusiasm marks the announcement today of shortlists for the Forward prizes, the biggest on the poetry scene and one of the few chances for poets to earn some money. The awards pay a total of �16,000 to the winners of three categories. The judges single out two of these for special praise. The announcement says the judges were struck by the 'extraordinary maturity' of entries by newer poets for the �3,000 prize for best first collection."

Jane's book Marabou is published by Carcanetand can be preordered from Amazon UK (oh, and I see it will also have distribution in the US, preorder from US Amazon here); it is an extraordinarily good collection, I am a stringent and critical reader of contemporary poetry (that is, when I read it at all) but this book just bowled me over.

No comments:

Post a Comment