Friday, June 15, 2007

Air miles

David Wighton interviews cellist Steven Isserlis at the FT. Lots of interesting details there; I love the "Lunch with so-and-so" feature, and will observe (as I probably have before) that (a) even quite expensive restaurants in New York are far better value than their London equivalents and (b) I am glad to see this time the writer did get the dessert he wanted! The funniest and most painful ones are where the journalist's really looking forward to eating and drinking delicious things and the abstemious interviewee thwarts his plans, there's a sort of subdrama in each piece about the ordering! Structurally interesting--might think about that, it's giving me some kind of idea for a story...

4 comments:

  1. I'm afraid I didn't actually get the dessert I wanted. I went to the bathroom and when I came back the waiter had taken the tart away. And I had really been looking forward to it.

    David Wighton

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha… unfortunately, I have never read his works. Hope I will become such a talent writer once :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Waiters are too inventive today...

    ReplyDelete