Saturday, June 23, 2007

Backlog

David Kynaston had a fascinating piece in last week's Sunday Times on how he came to write stealth best-seller Austerity Britain. I have got to read this book, it sounds quite amazing! And it turns out it's just the first installment in a sort of Powell-inspired roman fleuve:

I kept a part of my brain reserved for postwar Britain, continuing through the 1990s to think about it and collect material, especially obituaries, in what was becoming a golden age for that genre. By summer 2002, the week after Beckham’s penalty against Argentina, I was at last ready to go. I now envisaged the project as owing something to two types of artistic inspiration: the thickly textured panorama of a 19th-century “loose, baggy monster” realist novel, with perhaps a dash of Frith’s Derby Day painting; and the roman-fleuve of Anthony Powell’s A Dance to the Music of Time novels. I wanted to write a rolling narrative in which “high” history jostles with “low”, in which significant events and themes are viewed as much as possible through the prism of the individual witness or participant.

No comments:

Post a Comment