Sunday, October 28, 2007

Marine sex

At the Australian Age, Judy Skaatsoon interviews marine biologist Sheree Marris on her new book KamaSEAtra: Secrets of Sex in the Sea. The book sounds on the whole appealing but perhaps excessively jokey (I prefer a straighter version of this kind of stuff):
Marris says her interest in marine sex began when she first discovered the meaning of the term "dork".

"I studied aquatic science at Deakin University but I was by no means an academic, the chemical equations and formulas and all that just kind of went in one ear and out the other," she admits.

"One of the things that I did learn was the real meaning for the word dork.

"A dork is a whale's penis and I thought, `how cool is that?'

"When we're calling someone a dork we're basically calling them a big dick because these things are absolutely huge."

Marris soon realised that she had discovered a way of getting people to share her passion for the fragile marine environment.

1 comment: